Discuss!

danieltalsky | Self-Referential | Tuesday, March 31st, 2009

Crickets No More!

I've had comments off thus far, but the other day, I shared the Barbra Streisand post in Google Reader, which shared it in FriendFeed which made it show up on my Facebook, where people actually commented on it. Ahhh, the modern world.

Anyway, I liked it… the high of people actually commenting on The Sweet Snob and not feeling like I'm not doing this thing in a vacuum.

So, I turned on actual commenting here. And to sweeten the deal, here's my offer. The first three people to comment and tell me your favorite Sweet Snob post so far can pick an album or film to get the Sweet Snob treatment.

Please offer a little context about the album or film you want reviewed like, why you love or hate it, or why it's the most amazing underrated electroclash progenitor of the 80's / most emotional Mahler symphony ever so that I have some starting point.

Note that I have to approve a comment by a specific person before it shows up, but I will do the first three comments submitted in the order they were submitted.  And… if you're not in the first three but I love your suggestion, I might do it anyway.

Ok, I'm sick of the sound of crickets around here.  Go.

No TweetBacks yet. (Be the first to Tweet this post)

6 Comments

1. Funkadelic-Maggot Brain.

I want to run down the street with my knife and cut all the program directors at classic rock stations all across the country for omitting this music from the airwaves.

I did 3 years time at a local classic rock station and was subjected to super-size portions of Hendrix, Page and that damned guitar solo on the Eagle's "Hotel California" until I vomited it all back up. Not once was I moved like I just was, with the Maggot Brain in my headphones. I didn't think I liked guitar solos. Wrong. I don't like over-blown over-played guitar solos. My head has been blown.

Comment by Anne Silberman — April 1, 2009 @ 7:29 am

2. Already done! But it looks like you have time to submit another one. I think you're my only reader, Anne.

Comment by danieltalsky — April 1, 2009 @ 8:46 am

3. Daniel, could you find Gino Vannelli's "Pauper in Paradise" album – or "Gist of the Gemini" album (if you can find it) and tell us what you think? They are from the '70's.

Comment by Anne Silberman — April 1, 2009 @ 9:51 am

4. Yeah, I found them both. I'll get on it.

Comment by danieltalsky — April 1, 2009 @ 10:30 am

5. Have you ever been to the Pop Music Conference at the EMP? It happens every year in April and is free. This year the opening night lectures are by songwriter Diane Warren and funkalicious Nona Hendrix. I go every year and learn fascinating things about pop music every time. Music writers and ethnomusicologists are in attendance, giving academic and not-so-hoity-toity presentations. Great fun!! You should come!

Comment by Anne Silberman — April 1, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

6. Since you wrote in your post about Streisand, "Maybe it's that I'm not so crazy about musical theater," I was wondering if you saw the "musical" called Once. I guess Once really isn't musical theater, but music plays a huge part of the story. I appreciated the ending of the movie for some reason and can't really understand why.

Comment by Jennifer — April 6, 2009 @ 10:21 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress | Theme by Daniel Talsky via Roy Tanck's "Tranquility White"